Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Dance Like a Man! (Inspired by the play with same name, written by Mahesh Dattani ) - Part 2


Just a laugh

As I continue writing my memories, this one will remain with me for life!

One day at school, when we were playing in the ground, two girls, my classmates came running to me. Again I was a bit startled as I hardly spoke to any girl, I was shy and unsure. The giggled at me and asked if I was learning Bharathanatyam! They didnt even wait for me to answer, just went away giggling.

Piercing the ear

My Mother who was obsessed with bharathanatyam, was obsessed in watching me dance. She had recently made me get my ears pierced and wear earings. The only consolation I got was that they were made of gold and it was really good for my well being.

I was by then studying in my 9th, around 15 years old.

I was walking by a crowded area on an evening and a few boys, older than me, definitely looked stronger than me, chased me harassingly, calling out me wearing those ear rings and I had to run away until I lost them.

Inspiration

By the time I found out about a boys batch in my dance class, I was already 16 or 17 years old and decided to quit dancing. I met these wonderful men, who really inspired me to pursue with it. However I found theatre just then.

Love story

I heard a love story of two talented dancers, I knew both of them. Their guru had only one condition to them, either they get married and quit learning from them or they dont get married and continue. Girl stayed back and continued to learn from them and the boy had to quit and couldnt become as famous as he could have.

Stage fright

It was the first time I had been to a backstage of a live stage performance. My gurus were recent sensations in Indian dance scene. I had the privilage of going to one of their shows, and to my luck, I was a bit early. I saw a totally different guru there...to my delight he was not strict or serious, instead having a good laugh with other artists. I was completely fascinated. And to my surprise, they also made me part of their performance, in a small way. I was completely thrilled, and maybe when I look back now, the fascination of stage started there.

School Day

My school librarian was also passionate about dance. All others children hated her as she was too tough on us. But she had a group of her favorite students who were the regular school day dancers albeit they danced for western and bollywood songs. They felt like elite children and the boys had the pleasure of becoming friends, partnering with the most beautiful girls as they were also a part of that group. It felt like a cool gang in the school. 

I, being a shy, anonymous kid, could never dream of being a part of that group. I did try to audition a few times, but either I was just made a dummy side dancer, who was eventually replaced with someone else, or not even considered.

It was during my 10th, send off event, I decided to perform a solo Bharathanatyam piece. After which, the librarian came to me and said "Why didnt you tell me you were learning dance? I would have included you in all our school day events!". She went on to describe how dedicated and great my gurus were. Till this day I dont know if she was genuine or sarcastic about her final words to me before I left school.

No comments: